Sunday 8 March 2009

Me4U2? Part 2

I'm glad I listened to U2's new album, if only for the fact that I now feel entitled to an opinion.


'No Line On The Horizon' is by no means offensive to the ears in a musical sense. In fact, I had an overwhelming feeling that U2 were actually victims of their own success: as I listened, a rash of relatively new bands came to mind, who now seem able to pull off the U2 sound more convincingly than U2 themselves. For instance, opener 'No Line On The Horizon' lacked the punch of, say, similar-sounding Kings of Leon numbers, 'I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight' is schmaltzy and pompous, but somehow lacked the glorious absurdity of The Killers. Similarly, the more earnest gospel-esque tracks left me thinking 'It's been a while since I listened to Arcade Fire'.



Bizarrely, such seeming overfamiliarity with the album tracks meant that when lead-single 'Get On Your Boots' arrived (which, when I heard it on the radio, I despised) it came as a welcome relief. Ironically, this track sounds like U2 being influenced, with a hint of electro fuzz, and a heavy debt owed to 'Hail to the Thief' era Radiohead. Unlike the rest of the album, it at least portrays some sort of interest in music, rather than an interest in getting bums on seats at the Enormo-Dome. In the context of the album, it's a real shot in the arm, despite the terrible lyrics...


... which, as someone who rightly or wrongly privileges lyric writing, will always mean I cannot love U2. Each line is a compromise, each verse written with an open mind, each chorus vaguely inspiring. After 30 years of being in a band, you'd expect their words to reach beyond the awe-struck Americana of 'White As Snow' or the cod-irony of 'Stand Up Comedy'. It's all so safe, so fucking calculated.


I'll be phrasing all of this a little more diplomatically to my tutee. After all, it's not U2's fault that subsequent bands have evolved their sound; in fact, I'm sure it must be a source of pride. But as someone who was secretly hoping for a road to Damascus-style conversion, aware of the many 5 star reviews in the more 'serious' music mags, I do feel a little disappointed.

2 comments:

The_Face said...

A fascinating read - you definitely hit the nail on the head for me. I had a similar urge to give it a listen with an open mind but I really couldn't find anything remotely interesting or even enjoyable about it.
You're completely right with the comparisons too - the first track really does sound exactly like U2 copying the Kings of Leon copying U2 - even down to his voice. I suppose on the one hand it could be considered admirable that nearly 30 years into their career they're still open-minded to new influences but the cynic in me can't help thinking their musical direction is guided by unit-shifting potential.

Gareth/Charlotte said...

Appreciate it! Cheers! I think their biggest mistake was not using the photograph I used on my blog for the album cover. It's the first time I've ever felt empathy for the man!